Here is the latest information from the Whitman-Hanson athletic department
1) Congratulations to the girls cross country team for winning the EMASS State championship last Saturday. The girls now go on to the state championship this Saturday at Franklin Park.
2) The boys XC also had an impressive showing Saturday when they came in second place at EMASS. They also qualified for states this Saturday.
3) The Panther cheerleaders continue to amaze as they blew away the field on Sunday to win the South Regional championship. You can see the entire winning performance by clicking here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L17hd8oMP4I&feature=player_embedded . The girls compete for the state championship this Sunday in Shrewsbury at approximately 2pm. If you see one of the girls, please wish them good luck.
4) Our girls soccer team completed an incredible season on Sunday with a hard fought 3-2 loss to Oliver Ames in the sectional finals. The girls earned a spot in the finals by beating Marshfield on Friday in Quincy.
5) The football team has the week off before taking on Abington on Thursday in the annual Thanksgiving Day battle. You may purchase tickets for just $5 in room 161 from 8am-11am through Friday. Tickets will also be available at the gate on the day of the game.
6) The annual Powder Puff game takes place on Monday at 3pm at the football field. This year’s senior class lost a heartbreaker a year ago to the class of 2011 and they are hoping to go out with a victory. Meanwhile, student council has been hard at work in planning our pep rally for Tuesday.
7) Whitman-Hanson is currently in 3rd place in the Responsible Sports grant program. Thank you to everyone who has voted. We only have 15 days left to make sure we stay in the top 6. If we hang on, the athletic department will earn a much needed $5,000 grant. If you have not voted yet, or if you have an additional email address with which you can vote, please click here and then click on the blue button that says take the quiz. http://responsiblesports.com/responsible_sport_parenting/responsible_sport_parenting_quiz.aspx
8) The Whitman-Hanson athletic department, in partnership with WH’s chapter of SADD, will be bringing former Celtic star Chris Herren to the school next month to speak to students about the perils of drug use. Chris grew up in Fall River and played in the NBA before drugs derailed his life. He has been clean for more than 3 years now and just a couple of weeks ago ESPN aired a powerful documentary about his life and his battle with addiction. We hope to be able to tape the presentation so we can share it with the entire community.
9) The winter sports season will begin the Monday November 28th. All of the tryout schedules will be posted on the blog, www.whathletics.blogspot.com , by Monday November 21st. A reminder to all winter athletes, you must have a signed permission slip, an impact test and a physical on file with the school nurse (physicals conducted AFTER 11/1/10 are valid).