It is great to be back to school and we are excited for another year of Whitman-Hanson athletics. The student-athletes have been working hard, not just since we started up three weeks ago, but most have been putting in an incredible effort since the day their seasons ended a year ago. Here is a quick update -
1) The girls cross country team began defense of their Patriot League Championship by giving new head coach Steve George his first Whitman-Hanson win by defeating Pembroke, 25-32. Junior Samantha Coletti, with a wire-to-wire first place finish over the 5K course in 19:34, downed Pembroke 25-32. Behind Coletti were the Senior Co-Captains Caroline Mulrey (2nd, 20:53), Kelsey Tierney (4th, 21:44) and Megan Concannon (6th, 22:27.) Freshman Nicole Norve (12th, 28:10) rounded out the scoring for the the Whitman Girls. In the Boys race, Senior Co-Captain Patrick Brett's first varsity victory wasn't enough for the Panthers, who were defeated 22-39. Brett covered the course in 18:00, 13 seconds ahead of a trio of Norwell runners. Junior Sam Evans placed 5th in 18:43. Sophomore Lukas Moscoso (8th, 19:22), Freshman Jack Ryan (12th, 20:32) and Senior Co-Captain Josh Long were the other runners scoring for Whitman-Hanson.
2) Our girls soccer team looked impressive in their season debut on Thursday night by beating North Quincy 5-1. Whitman Hanson got on the board three minutes in to the second half when Freshman Taylor Kofton put home a rebound from a Rachel Kelley shot. Kofton followed that with her second goal just two minutes later when she got on the end of an Alexis Fruzzetti cross. North Quincy cut the lead in half when Ali Coleman got on the end of a free kick. The score remained 2-1 with 8 minutes left and then Whitman Hanson erupted for 3 goals. Kofton completed the hat trick with a left footed blast and Taylor Robertson and Alexis Fruzzetti rounded out the scoring. Arianna Comendul made 10 saves in the Whitman Hanson net. Molly Kate Cannon played a strong game for North Quincy.
3) The Whitman Hanson Boys Soccer Team won their Patriot League opening game of the season at North Quincy tonight. The Panthers game winning goal was scored by Antonio Centeio on an assist by Jared Pendrak in the 36th minute of the first half. The Panthers controlled much of the play in both halves hitting the post 3 times. This was a well-rounded effort by the offense and defense. The shut out is credited to Goalies Conor Keane and Jack Bannon and the defensive unit.
4) The football team opened its season on Friday night and looked much improved from a year ago but still dropped a close one falling to Plymouth South 18-17. Junior Nick Smith threw two touchdown passes - one to Senior Mike Lenane and the other to Liam Sweeney. Sophomore Jason Bosse carried the ball 18 times for 118 yards. Senior Joey Tanner had an incredible stretch of plays late in the game by booting a perfect punt that settled at the one yard line. He followed that up on the first play from scrimmage by tackling the Plymouth South ball carried in the end zone for the safety cutting the deficit to one. Unfortunately, that was as close as Whitman-Hanson would get. The Panthers will be looking to pick up their first win of the year Friday night when WH plays host to former coach Bob Bancroft's Pembroke Titans at 7pm at Dennis M. O'Brien field.
5) The golf team split their first two contests of the year falling to league power Duxbury on the road, 233-250 and beating Silver Lake at Ridder Country Club, 235-251. Junior Cole Manning led the way with two even par rounds (36 and 34). Senior Sam Perkins was solid against Silver Lake with a 4-over 38. The team has a busy week ahead playing Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
6) Field hockey returned to Whitman-Hanson for the first time in more than 30 years when the Lady Panthers travelled to Middleboro. It was a tremendous effort but the girls came up short by a score of 2-0. The team, which is coached by Whitman-Hanson math teacher Todd Humphrey, plays its first home game tomorrow (Monday September 8th) at 4:45pm against Silver Lake.
7) The volleyball team has been working hard and the girls are excited to finally open the season on Tuesday at Pembroke High School.
Finally, a reminder that the fitness center is now open daily from 1:45pm-4:45pm. Our fitness coach, Russell Nolan, is there to help design a plan for each student. In addition, Yoga returns on Mondays and Wednesdays at 3:30pm in the Cafeteria beginning 9/15. This is open to all students. If you would like to attend, please signup outside of room 159. Also, don't forget that the concession stand has healthy and affordable choices for an after school lunch or snack.
Whitman-Hanson Regional High School
Office (781) 618-7433
Cell (617) 838-0994
Classroom (781) 618-7159
Fax (781) 618-7084
When writing or responding, please remember that the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has determined that email is a public record.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.
- Tryout Info
- Parent Permission Slip/Medical Forms
- MIAA Sport Modifications
- Athletic Calendar
- Advertising List
- Panther PALS Donations
- Students - Concussion Pre Test
- PARENTS- Online Concussion Course
- User Fee Online Payments
- Hall of Fame Nominations
- Free Captains/Leadership Course
- Players Pledge
- Captains Community Service Form
- Parent Pledge
- College Bound Athlete
- MIAA Whitman-Hanson Site (schedules, directions, contacts)
- Purchase WH Athletic Gear
- Purchase School Insurance
- Fundraising Form
- Medical Clearance form for Doctors (Concussion Return to Play)
- Download Athletic Coaching Application
- Athletic Directory (Coach Contacts)
- WH Student handbook
- MIAA Handbook
- Athletic Handbook
- Patriot League Website
- Athletic Hall of Fame