The Division 1 Minnechaug Regional High School Baseball Falcons, ranked number 5 in Western Massachusetts, defeated the Division 2 Whitman-Hanson Panthers in the inaugural Commonwealth Classic baseball tournament held at Plymouth North on Saturday. Organized by Silver Lake Baseball Coach Ken Tocce, the tournament raised money for the Lupus Foundation of America.
In going the distance, sophomore righty Rian Schwede pitched a gem for W-H , giving up 2 earned runs on 7 hits, striking out 2, and walking no one. Ethan Phelps, Jim Dolan, Mike Cook, Austin Hyde and Bob Caliri had singles for Whitman-Hanson. Luke Tamulevich, Matt Josselyn, and Caleb Burke chipped in with great defensive plays to prevent Minnechaug from scoring additional runs.
In the second inning and down 1-0, Minnechaug scored 2 runs on 3 singles by BrianTessicini, Nick Scibelli, and Koby Ray.
Minnechaug's starting pitcher Cam Guyer went 6 innings, giving up 1 earned run in the first inning, striking out 1, and walking 2.
Whitman-Hanson is now 2-0 in the Patriot League and 2-1 overall.
Minnechaug is 4-0 overall.
Other tournament teams that also played a single game Saturday at Plymouth North included Pope John Paul II, Bridgewater Raynham, Silver Lake, Plymouth North ,Taconic, Westfield, West Springfield, and Lincoln Sudbury.
- Tryout Checklist
- Parent Permission Slip/Medical Forms
- Link to Our Facebook Page
- Link to Live Stream of Indoor Events
- Link to Games in Stadium
- Patriot League Rosters
- MIAA Sport Modifications
- Athletic Calendar
- Signup for Fitness Center Slot
- Panther PALS Donations
- Students - Concussion Pre Test
- PARENTS- Online Concussion Course
- User Fee Online Payments
- Hall of Fame Nominations
- Free Captains/Leadership Course
- Players Pledge
- Captains Community Service Form
- Parent Pledge
- College Bound Athlete
- MIAA Whitman-Hanson Site (schedules, directions, contacts)
- Purchase WH Athletic Gear
- Purchase School Insurance
- Fundraising Form
- Medical Clearance form for Doctors (Concussion Return to Play)
- Download Athletic Coaching Application
- Athletic Directory (Coach Contacts)
- WH Student handbook
- MIAA Handbook
- Athletic Handbook
- Patriot League Website
- Athletic Hall of Fame