1) The wrestling team displayed once again why it’s such a terrific sport to be a part of as the entire program hosted the MIAA south sectional wrestling tournament on Saturday. Every player, coach and parent pitched in to pull of the tall task of hosting all of the D2 south schools. On the mat, our team also fared very well placing 7 wrestlers in the top 6 places. The Panthers were led by 138 pound Captain Damari Goldsmith-Greene with a second place finish. Two wrestlers finished in 3rd place including 160 pound Senior captain Steve Brooks and Senior Tyler Cullinan at 170 pounds. Finishing in 4th was Junior Declan Hanaphy at 285 pounds. WH had one 5th in Sophomore Joe Boss at 106 pounds and two 6th place finishers including Sophomore Pat Collett at 152 pounds and Freshman Maddox Colclough at 195 pounds
The Panthers will be sending 4 wrestlers to the State Tournament next Friday and Saturday at Milton HS. Also attending as an alternate is Joe Boss. Pat Collett and Maddox Colclough will also attend as double alternates.
Winning the Sectional Tournament was Sharon HS with 225 points. Whitman-Hanson finished a respectable 7th with 109.5 points.
2) The boys basketball team opened the season by losing toleague rival Hingham but since that time, the team won every league game and won its 4th league title in the last 5 years and finished with a 13-1 Patriot League record. Overall the Panthers have won 16 games in a row and is currently ranked 5th in the state and number one in division 2 with an 18-2 record. On Friday Senior captains Stevie Kelly (15 points) and Ben Rice (13 points) led Whitman Hanson to a 66-44 win over Silver Lake on senior night. All of the seniors played well (Colby Ahern, Xavier Depina, Jonathan Zeidan, Liam Keane, Tom Vassil and Alex Shea). The team will now host division 1 power Brockton on Tuesday night at 6:30pm.
3) The Whitman Hanson girls basketball team (13-5, 9-5) defeated Silver Lake by the final score of 61-53 Thursday night. The Panthers were paced by four players in double figures. Seniors Olivia Martin and Brittany Gacicia had 17 points and 13 points respectively. Junior Rylie Harlow added 10 points and sophomore Abby Martin chipped in with 11 points. The team has a great chance to lock up a first round home game if they can do well in the Abington Tournament this week. They take on Rockland tomorrow at 2:30pm.
4) The Whitman-Hanson Girls Track team concluded its season at the Division 3 Championship Friday evening with some very impressive performances. Senior Captain Samantha Perkins (9.54) and Sophomore April Keyes (9.41) set personal records in the 55 Hurdles. Sophomore Isabel Amado ran well in the 1000 Meter race (3:16) and Freshman Isabel Miller also matched her season best in the High Jump at 4' 8". The 4 x 200 Relay team of Emma Rogers, April Keyes, Samantha Perkins and Ryley Hurley ran its best time of the season (1:54.13) as did the 4 x 400 Relay team of Isabel Amado, Tori Boss, Courtney Woodward and Ryley Hurley (4:28). On the boys side:
a. 55m Dash Open: Jake Caterer 7.10
b. 600m Run Open: Matt Avery 1:32.94
c. 1,000m Run Open: Nick Hanley 2:48.12
d. 1 Mile Run Open: Liam Cafferty 4:50.3
e. 2 Mile Run Open: Theo Kamperides 10:05
f. 55m Hurdles Open: Graham Stewart 8.82
g. Shot Put Cullen Poth 39'10.5"
h. Long Jump Jake Caterer 19'6
i. 4 x 200m Relay :
j. Jacob Donovan, Dyllan Burns, GrahamStewart, Jake Caterer 1:39.64
k. 4 x 400m Relay:
l. Chris Blackman,Graham Johnson, Mike King, Dyllan Burns 3:48.8
m. 4 x 800m Relay :
n. Liam Cafferty, Nick Hanley, NathanTassey, Chris MacDonald 9:19.9
o. Men's Long Jump Open:
Caterer, Jake: 20' 4.5" (Patriot Meet #5 01/22/20)
p. Men's Shot Put Open:
Poth, Cullen: 39' 11" (Patriot Meet #2 12/20/19)
5) Boys hockey had a great senior night beating Southeastern, 4-1. Senior R.J. Flynn was outstanding in net earning the win. Panthers goal scorers were Adam Solari, Ed Collins, John Ward and John Hagan. Chris Stoddard had two assists. Kevin Willis and Jack Allen had solid games on defense.
6) The Whitman Hanson /Silver Lake girls hockey team beat Pembroke 2-0 at Bridgewater Arena to get to 10-8 on the season and qualify for the state tournament, Alyssa Murphy had both goals with assists from Abbey Powers and Emily McDonald. Kat Gilbert got the shutout in net. The next game is Monday 2/17 at 3:00 vs. Bishop Stang at Hetland Arena.
Post a Comment