1. The winter season came to an exciting end in the Patriot Cup championship as the boys basketball team rallied to beat Hingham for the third time this season. Senior captains Cole Levangie and Nate Amado each scored 16 points to help the Panthers wrap up an undefeated season by beating Hingham in the Patriot Cup championship, 73-61. Junior Guards Amari Jamison (18 points) and Ryan Vallancourt (16 points) had big games for the Panthers who end the season by extending their winning streak to 35 straight dating back to December 26, 2019. The undefeated season is the first in school history for boys basketball and for that the Boston Globe ranked Whitman Hanson as the number one team in the state. It's the first time that the Panthers have earned that honor.
The girls basketball team had a terrific year advancing all the way to the Patriot Cup title game before losing to Hanover. But the highlight was the semifinal game where the girls dominated the league champion Plymouth North Blue Eagles, 57-44. The team was led by junior Abby Martin who tallied 17 points and 9 rebounds. Captains Rylie Harlow (10 points) and Reese Codero (9 points) also helped provide an offensive lift. The team finished 9-4 on the season.
The WH Varsity Gymnastics team concluded their season with the Patriot League meet. The girls had a great meet and placed 6th as a team.
Highlights include senior captain Madison Scaccia's 9th place 8.4 vault and sophomore Riley Getchell's 8.0 6th place beam routine. Senior captain Savannah Poirier competed alongside freshman Emma Mckeon in the all around. Emma came in 6th in the AA with two of her highest event scores of the season on vault (8.9) and beam (8.6).
The Whitman Hanson /Silver Lake girls hockey team ended their season with a 5-4 win and a 7-3 win vs. Marshfield. In the first game WHSL was led by a hat trick from Ellie Grady, Shea Kelleher added a goal and an assist while Kira Peterson, Emily McDonald and Bridget Cardarelli added goals.
We provided the final updates on boys hockey and swimming in the last newsletter.
With all of the winter sports in the books, the focus now turns to "Fall 2" where football, track and cheerleading will take place. Flexibility will be the key word as we will have to adjust as we go to confirm with the various Covid protocols. But overall, the kids and coaches adapted well to the first week of practice. We do have good news which is at it currently stands parents will be allowed to attend both home and away games. Lanyards, which will have to be worn in order to attend, will be issued this week. In order to obtain the lanyard all user fees, including past due amounts need to be paid. Payments can be made at www.whathletics.com.
Finally, we are pleased to announce that Chris McAndrews has been promoted to take over as head coach of the boys lacrosse team. Chris, who is a WH graduate, previously served as the JV coach and varsity assistant. The team is scheduled to begin practice in late April however there has been some discussion at the league level which would allow the team to begin sooner than that. We should have a definitive answer on any changes to the start date of spring sports sometime around March 12th.
As always, all parents and students should follow us on Twitter @whathletics . We will be posting all of the updates regarding fall 2 and spring on Twitter.
When writing or responding, please remember that the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has determined that email is a public record.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.
- Tryout Checklist
- Parent Permission Slip/Medical Forms
- Link to Our Facebook Page
- Link to Live Stream of Indoor Events
- Link to Games in Stadium
- Patriot League Rosters
- MIAA Sport Modifications
- Athletic Calendar
- Signup for Fitness Center Slot
- Panther PALS Donations
- Students - Concussion Pre Test
- PARENTS- Online Concussion Course
- User Fee Online Payments
- Hall of Fame Nominations
- Free Captains/Leadership Course
- Players Pledge
- Captains Community Service Form
- Parent Pledge
- College Bound Athlete
- MIAA Whitman-Hanson Site (schedules, directions, contacts)
- Purchase WH Athletic Gear
- Purchase School Insurance
- Fundraising Form
- Medical Clearance form for Doctors (Concussion Return to Play)
- Download Athletic Coaching Application
- Athletic Directory (Coach Contacts)
- WH Student handbook
- MIAA Handbook
- Athletic Handbook
- Patriot League Website
- Athletic Hall of Fame