Fall 2021 Tryout Information (please scroll down to find your sport)Be sure to look at the tryout checklist - you MUST have every part of the requirements taken care of PRIOR to practicing.
Cross Country (a no-cut sport) Pre-Season Practices
Monday, August 23 through Friday, August 27 - 2:30 on the outdoor Track
Saturday, August 28 - Time and Place to Be Determined
Monday, August 30 and Tuesday, August 31 - 2:30 on the Track
Thereafter practice will begin at 2:30 each day following school with times
to be determined on early release dates.
Field Hockey Try Out Schedule and Information
If you are looking to try a new sport, then joining field hockey is definitely worth considering.
The first day of tryouts is Monday, August 23rd. Players are expected to be at the turf by 9 am. In order to participate in the try out session for field hockey, all perspective players must have an updated physical, an impact test, and have signed up for field hockey. If any of these three requirement has not been completed, players will be expected to complete them before taking the field. Players are expected to have the necessary equipment. Players will need field hockey approved goggles, field hockey shin pads, field hockey stick, and a mouth guard. We will take the field at 9:30-11:30. The first day of tryouts focuses primarily on ball control. We will engage in passing drills and relays.
The second day of try outs is on Tuesday, August 24th. Players will be expected to be at the turf by 9:15. We will take the field from 9:30-11:30. We will work on ball control, passing, shooting, and defense.
The third and last day is on Wednesday, August 25th. Players will be expected to be at the turf by 9:15. We will be on the field from 9:30-11:30. We will go over positions, penalties, and penalty corners. The last hour of try outs will be a full field scrimmage.
Please contact Coach Humphrey (Todd.firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions. Looking forward to another amazing season. Please follow us on Twitter for Whitman-Hanson Field Hockey Updates @FieldWh
2021 Golf Tryouts
** ALL PHYSICALS AND SIGN UP REQUIREMENTS MUST BE TURNED IN AND TAKEN CARE OF PRIOR TO TRYOUTS! **
On the first day of tryouts (Mon., Aug. 23), all players should plan to arrive at Ridder Farm Golf Course about 45 minutes early (9:15 am) and check in at the lower putting green by the first tee and club house; there, players my putt around and warm up as we will take attendance and let everyone know of the foursome they will be playing with. The foursomes will be mixed to best achieve a balance of age and skill (to the best of my ability). This year, athletes will be playing 18 holes on the first day of tryouts (Mon, Aug. 23), and 9 on the second (Tues., Aug. 24, beginning at 12:50). After that time, scores will be tallied up for their 27 holes, and the selection process, mostly based on their averages, will begin.
It’s difficult to say exactly what scorex will “make the cut” as every year is different with the number of people trying out and ability levels. Though their score is not the only factor used to make the team, it is a strong indicator. We will be keeping 16 players, as that is what the course allows us to keep, and at this point, we have around 24 golfers trying out.
All Practices are on the turf field but could be moved to grass if needed. Please be prepared for both. Also you must have shin guards and should bring a soccer ball.
Monday, August 23: 8:00a. – 9:30a. TRYOUTS
Tuesday, August 24: 8:00a. – 9:30a. TRYOUTS
Wednesday, August 25: 8:00a. – 9:30a.
Thursday, August 26: 8:00a. – 9:30a
Friday, August 27: 8:00a. – 9:30a
Whitman Hanson Girls’ Soccer
2021 Tryout and Practice Schedule
Listed below are the dates and times of tryouts. Before trying out all players must have the following items completed:
Online signup and parent permission forms completed and submitted.
Updated physical in order to tryout. A physical expires on the 13th month to the day of the physical and will make you ineligible. Mr. Rodgers has been sending constant reminders to get this done.
All players must have completed the concussion testing online.
Forms and concussion testing can be found at whathletics.com
Listed below are Important Dates and Tryout Times ***************************
Players are expected to attend scheduled tryout sessions.
Please bring a soccer ball and water bottle to tryouts.
August 23 – Tryouts
3:45pm All players meet at turf field to check in. Bring any necessary paperwork.
4:00 -7:00pm Tryouts for all grades (turf field)
August 24 – Tryouts
4:00 - 6:30pm Tryouts for all grades (turf field)
August 25th – Practice
2:30-4:30pm Tryouts for all grades(turf field)
* Email sent to players notifying them of what team they made.
August 26 - Practice
4-6pm Practice for all teams
August 27 - Scrimmage/Practice
4-6pm Practice for players not participating in scrimmage
6-8pm Scrimmage vs Mansfield for selected players
August 28 - No Practice
August 29 - We will practice. Time to be determined.
** 2:30-4:30 will be the normal practice time once school starts.
All players are expected:
To be present for all practices and games.
To communicate with their coaches if there are issues.
Maintain academic excellence and integrity.
To be respectful of teammates, coaches, officials and opponents
To be outstanding representatives of our Whitman Hanson school community
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 781-618-7415(school) or email me at email@example.com
Thank you for signing up to tryout for volleyball! Please remember, in order to tryout, athletes need a current physical and to have taken the student concession pre-test prior to the first day of tryouts. All of this information can be found on WHAthletics.com as well as the tryout checklist.
Tryouts will be held from August 23-26. Incoming freshmen will tryout from during the first session, from 9-11 AM and incoming sophomores, juniors, and seniors will tryout during the second session, from 12-2 PM. After August 23, athletes from the first session may be invited to join the second session depending on their overall skill and ability; these athletes will be notified no later than 3 PM after each day of tryouts. Teams will be determined on Thursday, August 26 and athletes will be notified no later than 5 PM.
Athletes who make the varsity team will be participating in pre-season scrimmage on August 27 at Rockland High School from 9-12 where they will play against Rockland, Norwell, and Plymouth South.
Athletes who make the freshmen, JV, and varsity team will be asked to participate in our Car Wash Fundraiser on September 4 from 10 AM - 12 PM. More details to follow.
Please reach out with any questions, comments, or concerns.
Thank you & we look forward to seeing everyone on August 23!
Coach Richner (Varsity)
Coach Siden (JV)
Coach Kummer (Freshman)
Here is the link to the Football Calendar
Practice for grades 10-12 begins on Friday 8/20 with a 7am Meeting, On Field at 8am and finishing at 10am. Helmets only.
Freshmen Football players and Parents:
Tips on things to do before season starts in about one month.
1. Come to summer workouts if you can….every Tuesday and Thursday morning 730-830 a.m. Meet at Panther. We have had 20+ players coming all summer. These are NOT mandatory workouts but they are a great way to help get you in shape AND meet some of your fellow future teammates.
2. VERY IMPORTANT: Follow all things on this checklist on this link made by our athletic director Bob Rodgers. This includes how to sign up, how to take concussion test, where and how to turn in physical forms, etc. You cannot begin to practice with us until you have taken care of the items on this list. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K09EUY0X8wlKYi5pB67unZPtdgEXT620uMsKdigSIEc/edit?usp=sharing
3. See our game schedule at this link (games dates and times are subject to change…also, more games may be added to this schedule soon) https://www.arbiterlive.com/Teams/Schedule/7675825
4. See this link for all the kids that have signed up so far….see if you still need a concussion test done or a physical turned in: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sx1MJKU4jxbEZUico3dSX6kj5EirKdTGk6N-KhJtfyA/edit?usp=sharing
5. One of the most important things you need to do is be sure to sign up for our remind message app. It is the main way that we communicate to all players and parents on the team. To join, simply text "@whfreshmen" (no quotes) to number 81010. It is simply and easy to do and you will instantly be signed up. Once you do this, you will not miss any important messages or information we send out. Tell anyone else that want's to join the team to do this too. Both parents/ guardians AND players should join.
6. Go out and buy your cleats now! This is so you can start wearing them now to break them in….you will be glad you did once the season starts. Also get a mesh jersey to go over your shoulder pads for practice. Try to buy it in the color of either black or white.
7. Go out and buy BLACK football pants now while they are in stock. You can easily order them over Amazon and we recommend that you get the ones with the pads embedded inside the pant (makes cleaning, storage, and maintenance very easy). These links on amazon will get you a pair for $35 or under. There are several other similar types on amazon, this is just a sampling.
8. Recruit a friend to play. Currently we have 22 players signed up. We’d like to get that number up to 30 if possible. This is a great time for someone to try football if they think they might be interested. It is the last year you will play with just kids from your own grade and age group.
9. Tentative first week of practice dates and time (subject to change):
a. 8/26 12-2 pm
b. 8/27 12-2 pm
c. 8/28 8-10 am
d. 8/30 First day back for teachers….2-4 pm
e. 8/31 2-4 pm
f. 9/1 First day of school for students….practice 2-4 pm
g. 9/2 2-4 pm
h. 9/3 2-30-4:30 pm
i. 9/4 Possible scrimmage in am…time and place TBA
Side Note: We provide helmets and shoulder pads and game jerseys here a WH.
Please don’t hesitate to call (508-868-5286) or email if you have any questions.