It was a strange week for WH athletics with many events cancelled due to the storm but we do have a few updates for you. First, all student athletes and their parents should know that progress reports were released this week which means our academic probation program is now in place. Any student-athlete with a grade of C- or below in any class must submit a progress report to their coach each Thursday. As long as the student meets a satisfactory standard, they remain eligible to play. However, if the report is not returned, indicates any missing work or a lack of effort or poor conduct, then the student will sit out for a week or until the work is made up. For a more detailed explanation and a copy of the progress report form, visit www.whathletics.com . We are very lucky at WH to have such outstanding teachers and coaches who all work together in the best interest of our students.
Here is an update on our winter teams –
1) Sam Coletti competed at the state coaches elite meet on Sunday.
She placed 4th in the mile with a 9 second career best time of 5:09.85...which is less than a second away from the school record. Four WHITMAN-HANSON boys and girls qualified for the state coaches invitational on Saturday.
Jacob Roumanos placed 16th in the shot put (43'4.75").
Caroline Mulrey placed 37th out of 78 runners in the 2 mile...with a 14 second season best (12:22).
Kelsey Tierney placed 9th in the 2 mile...with a 19 second career best (11:49).
Brian Sheppard placed 3rd in the 2 mile...with a 21 second career best (9:57)...and earned a medal.
2) The wrestling team turned in a dominating performance at home Thursday on Senior Night. The Panthers came ready to wrestle delivering a solid 52-19 victory over the Lakers. Recording wins for W-H were Kyle Tamulevich by pin (106 lbs.), Cory Reid by a score of 12-0 (113 lbs.), Mike McDonough by pin (120 lbs.), Tysun Plouse by pin (132 lbs.), Luke Rogers by a score of 13-10 (138 lbs.), Rob Bunszell by pin (145 lbs.), Kevin Meehan by pin (152 lbs.), Nate Perkins by a score of 7-5 (170 lbs.), Garrett McSweeney by pin (182 lbs.) and Cole Berthelette by pin (195 lbs.). The team travels to Southeastern on Thursday.
3) Our girls hockey team, WHP, turned in an awesome effort Saturday against top ranked Duxbury. The girls dropped a 2-nothing decision but they were in the game the whole way. Senior goalie Jess Govoni is the league’s leading netminder while Mel McAleer remains among the leagues leading scorers.
4) The boys hockey team has hit a little bump in the road. The weather has made it difficult to get in a groove but they remain hard at work despite a 3-0 loss against Hanover last night. The team has a tough week ahead as they play Duxbury back to back on Wednesday and Saturday. The boys are excited for the challenge.
5) The girls basketball team has hit a small skid dropping 2 straight but they are still looking good for the state tournament. WH is ranked 6th in Division 2 South by Danny Ventura of the Boston Herald. The girls travel to Middleboro Monday, host North Quincy Tuesday and travel to Quincy Friday.
6) The boys basketball team is ranked 4th in that same poll as they improved to 9-2 with a 60-38 win at Duxbury Friday night. Senior Captains Shane Devlin (20 points) and Brian Feeney (11 points) led the way. The team continues to play excellent defense led by the play of seniors Torrey Champignie and Zach Downey. The Panthers are also getting great senior leadership from several players. The boys can clinch a tournament berth with a win tomorrow (Monday) when they host Middleboro. On Tuesday they travel to North Quincy to battle the undefeated 2nd ranked team in the state and on Friday they host Quincy.
7) The swim team, WHAM, picked up two more wins on Thursday, defeating both Rockland and Old Rochester. Here are some highlights –
200yd Medley Relay
- WHAM Girls took 1st place, time 2:14.23, swimmers: Abby Bailey, Shawna Ryan, Lauren Foley, Amy Collins
200yd Individual Medley
- Lauren Foley took 1st place, time 2:34.10
- Alyssa Lusardi just missed 2nd place by .55 seconds, time 2:42.94
- Shawna Ryan took 1st place, time 27.77, just .5 seconds away from qualifying for STATES
1 Meter Diving
- Hayley Poskus took 1st place for the girls and received her best score of 191.20, a state qualifying score. (Hayley has already qualifyed for states) She also received her first "8" on her "inward 1 somersault" today
- Samantha Vignaux received her best score of 167.90, qualifying her for SECTIONALS!
- Abby Bailey took 1st place for the girls, time 1:01.93
200yd Freestyle Relay
- WHAM Girls took 1st place, time 1:54.59, swimmers: Nicole Perfetuo, Lauren Foley, Shawna Ryan, Amy Collins
- Lauren Foley took 1st place, time 1:23.35
- Amy Collins took 2nd place, time 1:25.56
400yd Freestyle Relay
- WHAM Girls took 1st place, time N/A, swimmers: Erin Long, Nicole Perfetuo
E-Mail under Mass General Laws is a public record.
This message and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please notify me immediately by responding to this e-mail and then delete it from your system.
For support, contact the Technology Services Helpdesk at x7438