It was a great week for WH Athletics as two of our teams clinched league championships. Please remember you can get the very latest scheduling updates at www.whathletics.com .
1) The girls hockey (12-3, 9-1-1) team turned in a great team effort on Saturday defeating King Philip 6-0. Ally Webster netted two goals in the win. WHP won the league title (SEMGHL – Northeast Division) later in the day when second place Cohasset/Hanover lost their game. Freshman Mel McAleer continues to lead the team in goals with 15 while Senior Jess Govoni is the leagues top goalie with a 1.9 GAA. The girls will host their senior day on Saturday 2/15 at 2pm. Panther nation is encouraged to pack the house and support the girls.
2) The cheerleaders also won another league title on Saturday winning the Patriot League crown here at Whitman-Hanson. Once again the girls showed off tremendous athleticism and mental toughness in competing at such a high level. The girls have a couple of more tune-ups before they host regional here at WH in March.
3) The boys basketball team won two big games this week including a hard fought road win at Hanover on Tuesday led by Senior Captain Brian Feeney who erupted for 29 points. The boys currently have a 1 game lead for first place with two to play. The team travels to Hingham on Tuesday and hosts Silver Lake on Friday for their senior night.
4) The girls team is still just one win away from qualifying for the state tournament. They play host to Plymouth North tomorrow at 6:30pm for their senior night. Remember superfans get in for free with their cards so lets pack the place and give the girls the support they deserve in their quest to make the post season. Also, on Friday two members of the team, Erin Clifford and Casey Corr joined our athletic trainer Lexie Watkins representing Whitman-Hanson at the MIAA Women in Sports Day at Faneuil Hall in Boston.
5) It’s been a tremendous year for our co-op swim team with Middleboro and they had a strong showing at sectionals this weekend. In the 400 yard freestyle relay and The 200 yard freestyle relay, the team of Abbey Bailey, Shawna Ryan, Lauren Foley and Angela Foley came in 11th and 14th respectively. Overall the girls finished 29th out of 37 teams. For complete results, click on this link - http://miaa.ezstream.net/index.cfm?itemid=7315 .
6) Our young wrestling team has also had a great year. They now head to sectionals next week in North Attleboro.
7) Both track teams finished with winning records this year. They are still working hard in preparation for the class meet on Saturday 2/15.
8) Our hockey team hit a very tough stretch on the schedule and unfortunately were eliminated from post season contention last night. But, even in the loss the team showed a lot of character in competing to the final seconds against a very strong QUINCY team. The Panthers fell behind 2-0 in the opening period but they kept fighting and closed the gap to 2-1 on freshman Zach Pike’s goal. Senior goaltender Mike Bonavita was phenomenal in net to keep the score locked at 2-1. Unfortunately, the Panthers couldn’t find the back of the net again and that was the final. The team has a makeup game against North Quincy on Tuesday at 7:45pm. Their senior night game will be Saturday at 5:15 against Norwell.
Whitman-Hanson Regional High School
600 Franklin Street
Whitman, MA 02382
(781) 618-7433 (office)
(617) 838-0994 (cell)
(781) 618-7159 (classroom)
E-Mail under Mass General Laws is a public record.
This message and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please notify me immediately by responding to this e-mail and then delete it from your system.
For support, contact the Technology Services Helpdesk at x7438
When writing or responding, please remember that the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has determined that email is a public record.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.