It was a great week in WH Athletics and we will get to the exciting recaps but first some other important news.
The MIAA board of directors voted this week to cancel all winter state tournaments which was disappointing but at the same time they also reaffirmed the November 30th start date. There are still a lot of hurdles to clear, the biggest of which is the recent surge of Covid cases. We need to work together to get those numbers down or else we will see a lot of changes to how schools and sports are operating. The EEA and individual sports committees have a lot of work to do to put the pieces in place for a safe return of winter sports. Once they make their recommendations the board of directors will then meet again to give us the guidance of what winter sports will look like.
All students received an email from me this week regarding winter sport signup information, the status of swimming and an important boys lacrosse meeting scheduled for Monday at 6pm via zoom. Students should check their school email.
We will wrap up the regular season of the Patriot League play this week but that will not end the fall athletic season. All teams will qualify for the exciting Patriot League cup. League championships are decided by the regular season record but the Patriot Cup will give bragging rights for teams. This promises to be a fun way to end the season. All of the info will be posted on twitter, facebook and our website on Saturday.
Now to our updates
1) The boys cross country team capped off its perfect undefeated 5-0 season by beating Marshfield, 26-29 and winning its first league championship since 2013. Scoring for the Panthers on the 5K course were Senior Theo Kamperides (1st overall; 16:34), Senior Liam Cafferty (4th, 17:04), Junior Nathan Tassey (5th, 17:09), Senior Chris MacDonald (5th, 17:37) and Junior Gordon Johnson (10th, 18:18.).
Theo Kamperides is headed for another MVP honor after winning every race this season. It has been a pleasure to watch this remarkable student athlete post a phenomenal career.
FULL VARSITY (BOYS and GIRLS) and FULL JV RESULTS can be found at the following link:
VARSITY RACE RESULTS ARE ALSO SEEN BELOW:
2) The Whitman Hanson Girls Cross Country team fell to 2-3 after losing 17-46 to Marshfield (5-0) at home Tuesday afternoon. The top finisher for the Panthers was Junior Myah Kamperides who finished 4th overall on the 5K course in a time of 20:20. Also running well for Whitman-Hanson were Senior Isabell Amado (9th; 21:11) and Junior Anna Flynn (10th; 21:22.)
Full results are as follows:
5,000 Meters Varsity<https://www.athletic.net/CrossCountry/meet/185158/results/753352>
4. 11 Myah Kamperides 20:20
9. 12 Isabelle Amado 21:11
10. 11 Anna Flynn 21:22
13. 9 Sky Bucci-Anderson 22:15
15. 12 Bryn Miller 22:26
17. 11 Sarah Boulger 22:51
22. 12 Allie Solari 23:41
23. 12 Hailey Minicucci 24:04
24. 9 Caroline Poth 25:17
25. 11 Katelyn Sweeney 25:42
27. 12 Alaina Mutascio 26:26
28. 9 Lynn McCoy 26:34
29. 9 Paige Reichert 26:48
30. 10 Leah Cataldo 27:12
31. 10 Mia Gocal 27:26
12 Payton Bourgelas DNF
12 Molly Lyons DNF
3) The girls soccer team has put itself in position to win its second straight league title but it will not be easy as they play host to Plymouth North on Monday, Duxbury on Wednesday and Hingham on Friday. The Panthers currently have a one game lead on Hingham and two game lead on Plymouth North which mean WH controls its own destiny. The team improved to 7-0-1 with a 3-0 shutout over Silver Lake last week. Whitman Hanson struck first when Olivia Borgen got the ball out wide and fired a 20yd bending ball into the far corner. Silver Lake applied a lot of pressure in the 3rd qtr only to be turned away by the outstanding defensive work of Ava Melia, Abby Carew, Makenna Marshall and Skylar Jordan. At the start of the 4th qtr Borgen broke in after dribbling 3 defenders and slotted the ball past the Silver Lake keeper. Kayla Cassidy followed it up with a blast of her own. Outstanding performances were turned in by Kelsee Wozniak, Anna Sullivan and Alexis Billings. Kylee Colclough and Reese Codero split the keeper duties to earn the shutout.
4) The boys soccer team has shown steady progress all season and it came together nicely on Wednesday when they recorded a 2-1 home win over Silver Lake to even their record at 4-4. Peyton Collins assisted on both goals (Manny Osorio and Jack Allen with the tallies) while fellow captain Brendan Nehiley did a nice job leading a terrific team effort. The defense was outstanding anchored by Randy Elfman who made several key saves. The Panthers will travel to Hingham on Monday, Plymouth North on Wednesday before wrapping up the season under the lights Friday at home against Marshfield at 6pm.
5) The highlight of the week for volleyball was a strong 3-0 win at Silver Lake, (25-23, 25-23, 25-18) for their second win of the season. Junior Captain, Lily Welch, led the team with 10 kills, while fellow junior, Abby Martin, was not far behind with 9. Senior libero, Sarah Byers, was a stand out in the back row with 12 digs, while senior Captain, Sophia Berardinelli (#27), had an impressive 27 assists, a season high for the setter. The Panthers will wrap up the regular season this week by travelling to Duxbury Monday and hosting Hingham Thursday.
6) The field hockey team only played one game this week (a 5-1 loss at Plymouth North) as the game against Hingham was cancelled because their team was forced into quarantine due to Covid. Junior forward Olivia Phelps scored her 3rd goal of the season in the loss. The rematch with Plymouth North which was originally scheduled for Monday will be played on Tuesday at 4pm (The JV game will be played at 3pm). The regular season will wrap up Thursday at Plymouth South with the Patriot Cup set for the following week.
7) The golf team already finished its season but two players will represent Whitman Hanson on Tuesday at Pembroke Country Club in the Patriot Cup. Seniors Aidan Miller and Graham Stewart will tee off for one final time in their high school career.
Whitman-Hanson Regional High School
Office (781) 618-7433
Cell (617) 838-0994
Classroom (781) 618-7159
Fax (781) 618-7084
When writing or responding, please remember that the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has determined that email is a public record.
This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information. Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.
- Athletic Calendar
- Athletic Directory (Coach Contacts)
- Athletic Hall of Fame
- Athletic Handbook
- Bona Fide Player Waiver
- Bus Schedule (Fall)
- Captains Community Service Form
- College Bound Athlete
- Concussion Resources
- Download Athletic Coaching Application
- Free Captains/Leadership Course
- Fundraising Form
- Hall of Fame Nominations
- Link to Games in Stadium
- Link to Live Stream of Indoor Events
- Link to Our Facebook Page
- Medical Clearance form for Doctors (Concussion Return to Play)
- MIAA Handbook
- Panther PALS Donations
- Parent Permission Slip/Medical Forms
- Parent Pledge
- PARENTS- Online Concussion Course
- Patriot League Rosters
- Patriot League Website
- Players Pledge
- Purchase School Insurance
- Tryout Checklist
- User Fee Online Payments
- WH Student handbook